Hello everyone! Today I will be sharing with you how I make a headband for my daughter. I love making this headband because it takes very little time, and all I need is scrap fabric.
Headband, especially with a fabric bow makes any girl look more beautiful and adorable. For this tutorial, I made the bow first, then attached it to the band. You can make either one and dress your daughter, granddaughter, niece, or just any special girl in your life.
Materials for this project are;
- Scrap fabric (I used what was left of the ankara fabric used for making my circle skirt)
- Measuring tape
- Sewing machine or needle and thread if you want to hand sew.
- cut out two pieces of fabric; 5 by 7 inches, and 1.5 by 3 inches. The first is for the main bow, while the latter is for the centre piece.
- Fold main bow fabric in half lengthwise with right sides (RS) facing, and sew straight down. Remember to back stitch at the beginning and end.
- Turn RS out, and press sewn seam to middle.
- Fold again in half where the sewn part is visible and sew the raw edges on the side. Now turn right side out.
- Pinch at the middle, and gather the sides together.
- Press in the raw edges of the centre piece about a 1/4 inch, this now becomes the wrong side. Place around the bow and mark, take out the bow and sew centrepiece right sides facing. Cut out any excess fabric.
- Turn Centrepiece RS out, and squeeze in the bow. Now iron your bow for that professional look.
- Measure head of baby, and cut fabric.
- Cut elastic about 2 inches. (I cut out fabric exact length measured and included elastic for a loose headband. I discovered that when the bow is free, it stays longer on my daughter’s head).
- Fold lengthwise RS facing and sew. Turn RS out, and press sewn seam to the middle (exactly like that of the bow).
- Press in about a 1/4 inch on raw edges and sew in elastic.
- Your headband is ready. Sew in the bow, and style your baby as you wish.
You can go on now and make as many headbands as you wish, with any fabric of your choice. You can even make one for yourself, why not?! Feel free to leave me any comments below, and share your thoughts with me. Finally kindly subscribe now, more easy tutorials will be coming your way.
Have a great day, God bless you!